Friday, May 13, 2011

MASS MoCA - The Exhibits Pt.1

The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA) is located in North Adams, MA.  Most of the exhibits are large scale (some very large!) and fairly contemporary/modern.  One of the aspects that I most enjoyed was the fact that there are no boundaries set up to keep the viewer away from the art (just polite signs asking you not to touch :)). Which really made the experience much more interactive.  As shown by the photos below!


Tree Logic by Natalie Jeremijenko is the first exhibit we saw upon entering the site.  Six live trees are inverted and suspended from a truss, showing how the trees will grow over time.



This next exhibit is my favorite.  Geometric Death Frequency - 141 by Federico Diaz.  This sculpture was completely put together by robotic machines.  It reminded me of an autostereogram, one of those pictures you have to stare at in order to make a 3D image appear.  I loved those growing up.





Our idea of "interactive" art :)

Hi.

Inside the museum a video was playing on a loop to show how this piece was created.

The robots, I think they are kinda cute.


This next exhibit was probably my second favorite.  Nu Colossus by Nari Ward.  The colors on this piece were gorgeous.


  
This reminds me of Nero's ship in the Star Trek movie.  Yes, yes I am a dork.



More photos and exhibits to come! (All photos by me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment