Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

I recently made a gluten free chocolate cake for my guy (he is gluten intolerant).  It wasn't made from scratch or anything like that - but it was delicious and I got to use one of my homemade cakestands!  Pictures (from my iPhone) and recipe information are below.  Enjoy!

 

Chocolate Cake - I used Bob's Red Mill GF Chocolate Cake Mix
*Follow instructions on package
Ingredients Needed
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1 cup milk (I used whole milk - b/c I can ;))
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup hot water (I just used from the tap)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

Icing - I used this recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks, and replaced the regular flour w/ a GF mix
Ingredients
  • 5 Tablespoons Flour (use your GF version of choice, I used this one)
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 cup Butter
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!) 
Instructions

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens (I had to whisk for at least 10 minutes to get it to the right thickness - it is a good workout!). You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla.
While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.
Grab a spoon and taste this wonderful goodness. If there is any left after your taste test, spread it on a cooled chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment